Our Latest News

Sustainable Timber Tasmania and Parks and Wildlife Service announce road opening

21/05/2019

Florentine Road and Arve Road (to the Hartz Mountain junction) are officially reopened to the public.More

Easter safety is paramount for our parks and reserves

18/04/2019

The Parks and Wildlife Service encourages visitors and Tasmanians alike to get outdoors and get active - especially in our parks and reserves.More

Good news, Hartz Mountain National Park and other tracks are open!

17/04/2019

In time for Easter walking, PWS have been able to re-open a number of tracks.More

Sarah Island

Chronology

Chronology of Events

Dec. 1815 Capt. James Kelly becomes the first European to enter Macquarie Harbour.

Jan. 1822 Penal settlement on Sarah Island begins with Lt. Cuthbertson as Commandant.

Sept. 1822 Alexander Pearce, the 'cannibal' convict, first escapes with eight others.

April 1823 Lt. Cuthbertson drowns in the Harbour.

June 1824 Matthew Brady escapes, followed by two years 'on the run'.

Nov. 1833 The settlement officially closes.

Jan. 1834 Convicts remaining at the settlement to complete the Frederick, seize the ship and make their escape.

April 1846 The settlement re-opens as a convict probation station.

April 1847 The probation station closes.

1850-1880s Sarah Island used as a camp for piners.

Feb. 1926 Sarah Island gazetted as a tourist reserve.

1971 Sarah and Grummet Islands declared an Historic Site.

1982 The Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage area proclaimed.