Our Latest News

Seasonal campfire restrictions commence in national parks and reserves


Restrictions on campfires, pot fires and other solid fuel stoves will come in to place from Saturday 28th September at identified Parks and Wildlife Service campgrounds around the State to help reduce the risk of bushfires.More

Fly Neighbourly Advice for the Tasman National Park


Public comment is invited on the draft Tasman National Park Fly Neighbourly Advice. The draft Fly Neighbourly Advice has been prepared by the Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service in response to increasing air traffic over the Tasman National Park.More

Hybrid diesel-electric shuttle buses at Cradle Mountain - a first for National p


When you next visit Cradle Mountain you will be able to step aboard one of the new hybrid, diesel-electric, shuttle buses on your trip to Dove Lake. These new buses will reduce emissions and deliver a quieter, all mobility friendly, visitor experience.More

Leasing and Licensing

Crown land in Tasmania is managed by various Government agencies. The information below relates solely to Crown land managed under the Crown Lands Act 1976 by Property Services (PS).

PS issues leases and licences to individuals, community organisations and businesses for a broad range of activities on Crown land.  These agreements are administered by PS as landlord on behalf of the Crown (and people of Tasmania).

Leases authorise the exclusive occupation of Crown land for a fixed-term and specified purpose.  Generally, leases are issued where longer-term or commercial activities are proposed.  Examples include marinas, community halls, caravan parks and sporting facilities.

Licences are agreements that authorise the use or occupation of Crown land for a specified purpose.  Licences, unlike leases, do not confer exclusive possession and are often issued for shared use of Crown land, such as shared access over Reserved Roads.  Other example purposes include apiary (bee keeping), grazing, and private slipways and jetties.

Applications to lease or licence Crown land, or to renew expiring agreements, are made by lodging the relevant application form together with the applicable fee.  Each application requires different evidence to be provided with the form.  Find out more about the evidence required on the last page of the application form.

Depending on the type and scope of a lease or licence application, further costs may also be incurred.  Costs could include stamp duty, legal, valuation, and survey fees, as well as other costs such as environmental or heritage assessments.  Once issued, most agreements will be subject to an ongoing fee or rental.  Generally, agreement holders will also be required to obtain public liability insurance and pay any rates and water charges.

PS assesses each lease and licence application on its merits.  A range of factors may be considered, including the potential impact on surrounding land owners, environmental, cultural or Aboriginal heritage concerns, or local Council plans for the area.  PS may contact adjoining landowners during the assessment; it is recommended that applicants consult with these owners.

All applications for leases and licences require approval from the Minister or their delegate prior to any occupation or use of Crown land.

Variations to Existing Agreements

Changes to lease or licence boundaries, or changes in Permitted Use, may require either a variation to an existing agreement or the issue of a new agreement. Where changes are proposed lodge a Variation Application form.

Transferring Existing Agreements

An agreement holder may apply to transfer a lease or licence to a third party.  Find out more about transferring agreements on the transferring leases and licenses page.

Cancellation or Non-renewal of Existing Agreements

Agreement holders wishing to cancel their Crown land lease or licence should lodge an Application to Cancel Crown Agreement.

In some circumstances existing agreements may not be renewed upon expiry.  Circumstances include where the Crown land is required for a public purpose, an agreement’s terms and conditions have been breached, or the Permitted Use is no longer considered appropriate.

Application Fees

Application fees applicable from 1 July 2019:

New lease
New licence (access only)
New licence (general occupation)
Renewal of expired lease
Renewal of expired licence

Lodgement Details

Lodge the application form and associated fee at any Service Tasmania Shop (payment by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or Credit Card).


Forward the application form and accompanying cheque to:

Property Services
Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
GPO Box 44

    Make cheques payable to Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment.


Property Services
Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of Primary Industries Parks Water & Environment
Level 8, Lands Building, 134 Macquarie Street Hobart
GPO Box 44 Hobart TAS 7001

General Enquiries Message Service: Ph. (03) 6169 9015

A Property Services Officer will contact you within two business days to discuss your enquiry.

Email for appointments or enquiries: PropertyServices@parks.tas.gov.au