The Ross Female Factory was one of four female workhouses established in Tasmania:
The Cascade Factory,
Degraves Street, South Hobart (1829): this Factory is an Historic Site managed by the Parks & Wildlife Service. An interpretation display is provided for visitors.
The Launceston Factory (1832): this Factory was demolished in the 1930s, and built-over by Launceston College. The well, and an original sandstone perimeter wall remain.
The George Town Factory (1829): this Factory was occupied for only a short period in a house rented from a local clergyman. After the Launceston Factory was opened, George Town was closed.
The Ross Female Factory (1847): this Factory was adapted from an 1842 Road Gang Station built for male convicts. Although little architecture remains above the ground, Ross Factory is the most archaeologically intact female convict site in Australia.