Recreational Driver Pass for the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area
The Arthur Pieman Conservation Area (APCA) located in the remote north west is currently the only place in Tasmania where off-road, 4WD drivers are required to purchase a Recreational Driver Pass. Income from the Recreational Driver Pass finances track maintenance and helps protect cultural and natural heritage in the APCA.
There are many beautiful places to visit in the APCA where you do not need to drive off-road.
Please note: Only drivers intending to drive 4WD, off-road are required to purchase a Recreational Driver Pass.
Visitors to the APCA do not require a National Parks Pass.
A Recreational Driver Pass allows you to drive on designated recreational vehicle tracks and routes (within the designated vehicle area) of the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area, and is subject to the following conditions:
- Vehicles must be registered and display registration plates in accordance with the Vehicle and Traffic Act 1999.
- Drivers must possess a current driver’s licence for the type of vehicle being driven.
- The Recreational Driver Pass must be presented to an authorised officer (Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service or Tasmania Police) when requested to do so.
- Vehicles must only be driven on specified tracks, beaches and areas shown on the vehicle track maps in the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area Recreational Driving Guide.
- Drivers must abide by vehicle control signs (in some circumstances, tracks may have seasonal or maintenance closures).
Recreational Driver Passes can be purchased online through the Parks Pass Portal (select the bottom box) or via the PWS Arthur River Field Centre or Service Tasmania outlets.
Recreational Driving Guide - for 4WDs in the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area
Detailed maps of the vehicle tracks and routes that make up the designated vehicle area within the APCA are contained in the
Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area Recreational Driving Guide. It is well worth reading as this guide contains important information on preparing for your visit, facilities within the APCA, safe driving tips, and the natural and cultural heritage of the reserve.
If you are planning your first 4WD trip, consider taking a 4WD course in your own vehicle to become familiar with using recovery gear. Why not watch the Recreational Driving Video before you visit the Arthur-Pieman? It provides vital safety information and some sound advice on four-wheel driving technique.
Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area Recreational Driver Pass|
|1 month pass||$33|
Get an APCA Recreational Driver Pass
APCA Rec Driving Guide - March 2019