To reduce the risk of bushfires, campfire restrictions will be in place at a number of
Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service campgrounds across the state from 4 December 2020.
Campfire restrictions will remain in place until further notice, and be adjusted as necessary as the summer progresses.
The Parks and Wildlife Service State Fire Manager Katy Edwards said the restrictions are important to help protect visitors and the wider community.
"Despite recent rain, there is still considerable fire risk on the north-west and the eastern side of Tasmania with no significant forecast rain in the Bureau of Meteorology extended outlook. Spring pasture growth is significant in a number of areas and as the grass cures the areas assessed as currently having normal fire potential is likely to change," she said.
In the current dry conditions, campfires can easily escape, spread rapidly are difficult to control and threaten people in campgrounds and nearby communities.
The seasonal campfire restrictions apply to:
- Flinders Island and Maria Island National Park
- Narawntapu National Park
- All national parks and reserves in the Dorset, Break O'Day, Glamorgan/Spring Bay, Sorell and Tasman municipalities
- Snaky Creek and Tooms Lake Conservation Areas
Further locations may be added if the fire risk in particular areas escalates over summer.
Gas stoves and gas barbecues will be permitted in these locations.
The following areas are designated Fuel Stove Only all year round and campfires are not permitted: Freycinet National Park, parts of the Tasman National Park, the Vale of Belvoir Conservation Area, the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (the TWWHA includes Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, Walls of Jerusalem National Park, Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Hartz Mountains National Park, Southwest National Park, Mole Creek Karst National Park, Mount Field National Park).
“Our priority is community safety, and preventing bushfires from starting from abandoned, escaped or inappropriately managed campfires is part of our community and visitor safety strategy,” Katy said.
Last year there were more than 110 reports of unattended or illegal campfires on PWS managed land,with 140 fire related offences recorded - a 50 per cent increase in reports from the previous year.
With the shocking and extensive bushfires last year in New South Wales and Victoria fresh in our minds, there is no room for complacency. Heavy penalties apply to people illegally lighting or leaving campfires unattended.
Restrictions have also been imposed on the use of pot fires. Sparks, embers and the disposal of ash and coals from pot fires can provide an ignition source.
"In locations where campfires are permitted, please ensure all coals and ash are thoroughly wet and cold before leaving your campsite" said Katy.
The PWS want to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable camping experience and appreciate assistance from the community in complying with fire restrictions.
For further information on where campfires are and are not permitted see Campfire safety and restrictions.
See the map showing the areas covered by these restrictions.
UPDATE: From 2 AM Sunday 28th February the Arthur Pieman Conservation Area and King Island will no longer have campfire restrictions in place.
PWS Campfire Restrictions Map 2021 Feb 28th onwards (7Mb)