The National Parks and Wildlife Advisory Council (NPWAC) is established under the National Parks and Reserves Management Act 2002 to provide policy advice to the Minister for Parks in relation to the management of Tasmania’s parks and reserves and to review management plans.
The Council is also responsible for providing advice to the Tasmanian and Australian Governments on matters relating to the protection, conservation, presentation and management of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (TWWHA) under the Australian World Heritage Intergovernmental Agreement 2009.
The functions and Terms of Reference for the Council as set out in the National Parks and Reserves Management Act 2002 are:
- to advise the Minister on the administration of the Act, including matters referred to it by the Minister
- to provide a forum for consultation on policy issues of State significance that are related to the Act
- to maintain an overview of the relevance of the Director of National Parks and Wildlife's role and achievements relative to public expectations
- to promote understanding and acceptance of the Director of National Parks and Wildlife's role and associated programs
- to encourage, and act as a focal point for, community support for projects carried out and services provided under the Act
- to review management plans for reserved land.
The Council consists of ten members who are appointed in their own right rather than as a representative of any particular organisation. The expertise of Council members and their association with any interest groups could include, but are not necessarily limited to: ecology, conservation, land and water science, cultural heritage, recreation, social science, marketing, tourism, philanthropy, presentation and interpretation, reserve and business management. Two positions on the Council are reserved for Aboriginal community representation, one male and one female.
The current members of the council are:
- Mr Malcolm Wells (Chairperson)
- Hanny Allston
- Dr Rachel Brown
- Trish Hodge
- Hank Horton
- Dr Cindy Hull
- Richard Ingram
- Ellen O'Brien
- Su Sprott
- Dr Jennie Whinam