Tassie the toast of Australian tourism, again
For the third year running, Tasmania has dominated the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards, winning more medals than any other state.
Premier Will Hodgman said this demonstrates once again that Tasmania does tourism better than anyone, and that the partnership between government and industry to maintain the tourism boom is working.
"A centrepiece of the plan to grow the economy and create more jobs is to back our competitive strengths and there is no better example than the tourism industry," Mr Hodgman said.
"This year's awards also demonstrated our great strength in eco-tourism, proving that we can balance the protection of our precious natural areas with a growing tourism industry.
"The national awards are also a wonderful advertisement for our State and will inspire more people to visit our beautiful island.
"Congratulations to all nominees in the national awards, and particularly the winners."
The gold medal winners are:
- Three Capes Track, New Tourism Business;
- The Tasmanian Walking Company, Ecotourism;
- Riverfly 1864, Specialised Tourism Services;
- The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel, Business Event Venue (and inducted into the Hall of Fame);
- Saffire Freycinet, Luxury Accommodation; and
- Freycinet National Park was a bronze medal winner in the Major Tourist Attraction.
Visit www.australiantourismawards.com.au for the full list of winners.