Our Latest News

Horsetail Falls walk now open

15/11/2017

Visitors to the West Coast are in for some spectacular views on the new Horsetail Falls walk near Queenstown.More

Bruny Island Neck lookout re-opens

10/11/2017

The walkways and lookout at the Bruny Island Neck will re-open to the public today, following the completion of a new, larger car park that will provide improved access to the popular lookout.More

Maintaining vigilance with campfires

03/11/2017

Parks and Wildlife Service staff have thanked the many campers who have heeded the restrictions placed on campfires and pot fires, but ask that park and reserve visitors continue to take care while the fire risk remains high in certain areas of the State.More

Aboriginal Heritage

Wybalenna

Plan of Wybalenna - click to expand
Wybalenna, meaning Black Man’s House, was the name of an Aboriginal mission established on Flinders Island in 1833. Around 300 Aboriginals were  ‘delivered’ there during its time as a mission.

The site was poorly chosen; being exposed to the weather, having a poor, limited supply of water and land barely suitable for cultivation. Supplies were not delivered often enough, nor were the rations provided sufficient. The Aboriginals relied on the supply of provisions from the sealers and the sourcing of traditional foods on Flinders Island and the other outposts.

The conditions, rations, displacement and illnesses all had a devastating effect on the Aboriginals at the mission. During the time of operation of Wybalenna many Aboriginals succumbed to illness and despair and were buried at the mission site, both in marked and unmarked graves. In 1847 when the mission closed only 47 Aboriginals were still alive but they were all suffering from some degree of pulmonary disease. 

For more information in relation to Aboriginal heritage within Tasmania see the Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania website: www.aboriginalheritage.tas.gov.au